Monday, November 28, 2011

Balancing Work and Life

How could I see this workshop listed in the conference schedule and not go?  I've been complaining to (well myself because I don't get out enough)that my life isn't in balance.  I love what I do, but I never stop thinking or working or worrying when I get home and feel a little out of control.  I went in with high hopes for secrets to leading a more balanced life and I was not disappointed!
The workshop was co-lead by Maria van Hekken of Yes2Yes Leadership Coaching and Michael McDavid of Penn State Extension.  Both very engaging speakers with very different but complimentary styles.
 We went over daily stresses and things we can change in our inner and outer lives, from thoughts that stress us out to our daily responsibilities that seem never ending.  We were given advice on how to find ways to manage these stresses... what can we do everyday that would make a difference?  What are the major recurring problems and how can we make changes to balance them out or diffuse them?  And relax.  What are the positives??
We then went into the new pressures found at work nowadays with working parents, the internet and travelling and phones and how to be firm about not always being available.  What are the hours you can be reached and expect a response?  stand your ground.
This part was really great...finding the Work Life Balance..how do we celebrate, have fun and achieve?  Mike introduced the Work-Life Matrix.  Find a way to make a chart of how often you work at work, work on weekends, nights, then focus on vacation time, holiday breaks, work at home days and time that you allow yourself total freetime like jogging, painting etc.  You can chart it using hours as the gage corresponding to weeks per month.  Upon looking at the end results and numbers, the question is " Are you okay with this?"  Upon reviewing a whole month rather than each day where youfeel like your running like crazy, at the end, are you?  Is this your life and is it okay?  what are the other perks?
I realized that although I work hard at the farm all day and come home and have emails to return and website updating and newsletters to write and seed orders and worry, worry worry;  I'm Happy.  If I need to sleep in one day, I can.  If I want to meet a friend for lunch, I can.  I can schedule a visit to the dermatologist and not have to ask permission.  I can make changes to my business and not feel like I will be affecting someone elses life or investment.  I feel free and even though I'm dedicated to my work, it's my choice.  I have choice.  And for me, that's a biggie!!  I feel like this matrix idea could really benefit a lot of people.
I was worried that in this class,we were going to have to get too personal and go around the room and share.  Instead they simply asked for volunteers to share stories, and I immediately raised my hand and so did many others!  I met a lot of wonderful people in that class that day and I am so glad that I attended.  I felt like I walked away with more power over my life and a lot more appreciation for what I have:)

No comments:

Post a Comment